Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is urging people to stay safe this winter as rising household costs mean some residents could be putting their lives at risk as they hope to save money.
Safety measures are feared to be neglected, leading to more preventable fires and even carbon monoxide poisoning, as residents seek to reduce their energy use this winter.
The National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) has previously warned that the rising cost of living will force people to look to other ways to heat and light their homes.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is supporting the NFCC campaign to help reduce the risk of fires in the home, including conducting an online home fire safety check for themselves or their loved ones.
By answering a few simple questions, the results will provide advice tailored to you and your household at www.safelincs.co.uk/hfsc
For those most at risk, home visits are organized to provide help and advice. You can check if you are eligible at www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lfr
Dan Moss, regional prevention and protection manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “We know that for many people, they have to carefully consider every penny they spend as costs rise. As a bare minimum for home fire safety, residents should ensure they have working smoke alarms – at least one on each level of the home. If you have a heater that doesn’t run on electricity, you should also have a carbon monoxide alarm – it’s the only way to detect this gas, which can be deadly. It is also important to regularly test all alarms.
“If you choose to only heat one room in your home where you will be sleeping, make sure there are alarms installed in that room. Changes to regulations mean homeowners must install smoke detectors in every home and carbon monoxide detectors if required, in rented accommodation.They must also carry out an annual gas safety check.We advise tenants to ensure that their landlord complies to ensure their safety.
“The fire department can provide fire risk reduction advice and online fire safety check and home fire safety visits are completely free.”
Other top tips this winter from the Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service include:
- Check that all heaters are in good working order
- Visit registermyappliance.org.uk to check that your electrical appliances have not been recalled
- Make sure flammable items such as furniture and drying clothes are placed away from heaters and fires
- Be sure to use the correct fuel for wood-burning stoves and open fires – to reduce the risk of toxic fumes, chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning
- If possible, do not skip gas boiler and appliance servicing by a Gas Safe engineer to avoid gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. If you’re a homeowner, check your utility’s website for information about their priority service registry. If you qualify, they often offer a free annual gas safety check along with other support services.
- Pay attention to your friends and neighbors this winter by watching them, especially if they are more vulnerable.